A few years back at my South Texas spot my friend and I were hiking in to "#2" a mesquite and cactus choked field about 4 miles from our camp. We were interested in the dry creek bed with large oaks sprouting up the middle. This spot was a favorite roosting spot of the transient Rio Grande gobblers we'd been chasing for 3 days. We decided that my friend would head straight down the road from the old truck that had creaked and rattled over the rocky road to get us here. I would take a right and head a half mile down the creek bottom. Just after we parted, I blew a crow call and the woods lit up with gobbles about 75 yards in front of my buddy. Now he knew they were there and the game was on. I kept walking, hating to leave all those gobbling birds, but two hunters and turkey hunting don't mix. I always say that I like as many hunters as possible in camp to trade stories with, but 1 person with you in the field is 1 too many.
My friend ended up tagging a bird within 10 minutes as they came up out of the 10 foot deep creek bottom. My luck wasn't nearly as good. I walked a few miles and all I got was a blister and some cactus spines in my leg. The land was completely different than the Northern California woods I typically hunt, so at least I got to see some interesting scenery. Knowing my buddy was sitting in an old rusty truck for the last 2 hours waiting for me, I hurried back toward him. About 250 yards out, I blew a crow call to give the gobblers one last try before calling it a morning. I did so, and got no response, so I thought. About that time the radio crackled..."did you just blow a crow call?" . "Yes" I said. "well blow it again, you have gobblers in front of you". After the next call, I still heard nothing, but the radio again crackled to life "Did you hear that, there's at least 3 directly in front of you in the heavy brush....in with the sheep". I crept forward through the brush still not quite convinced anything was out there. After about 100 yards, I finally heard a faint gobble. I walked forward, and there they were. Unfortunately I was standing up at about 125 yards. I stood still, hoping the ghillie suit would blend in and that they hadn't seen me move. After they passed out of sight, one gobbled. I called back, and without a tree anywhere around, put my belly in the dirt in a prone position.
The 3 birds came up one at a time spaced 15 yards apart. Two jakes in front, and a nice gobbler behind. I quietly let the jakes walk by me as sheep grazed all around. When the big bird hit 20 yards, I shot him. I put him over my shoulder and walked to the truck. We headed back to camp with 2 fat Texas longbeards in the back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment